Welcome to the Department of Sociology and Anthropology at the University of Mississippi! The 2012-13 academic year promises to be exciting. Whether you are a current major or minor, graduate student or someone who is curious about the social world (past or present), we’ve got a lot in store for you …
- Fantastic courses taught by award-winning faculty. (Introductory courses in Sociology and Anthropology give you a “map” of the exciting elements of our discipline. As part of the Honors College’s focus on the upcoming World Cup, Dr. Ross Haenfler is teaching a course on Soccer Subcultures and Dr. Kate Centellas is teaching a course on the Anthropology of Spectacle!)
- A year-long lecture series organized by Dr. Willa Johnson and the Critical Race Studies group entitled “Intertwining Legacies: Jews and African Americans in the Deep South” sponsored by a generous grant from the Association for Jewish Studies-Legacy Heritage Jewish Studies Program and other Departments on campus.
- The newly expanded McLean Institute for Partnerships and Community Engagement and upcoming University-wide initiatives related to engaged community research and teaching led by the new Director and Professor of Sociology, Dr. Albert Nylander.
- Continuing university/community research initiatives on population health, agriculture, and community development headed by Dr. John Green, Director of the Center for Population Studies. Dr. Green has begun his editorship of Community Development, the official journal of the Community Development Society, which publishes cutting-edge knowledge concerning community development research, practice, and policy.
- Opportunities for hands-on research in field schools directed in Mississippi (Dr. Jay Johnson) and in Bolivia (Dr. Kate Centellas).
- A Fall and Spring Lecture Series on Fridays at NOON will highlight current faculty research from Department scholars and invited guests.
If you have any questions, we’re here to help. Contact us at (662) 915-7421 or stop by Leavell Hall 103.
Have a great year!
Chair, Sociology and Anthropology