University of Mississippi

Jeffrey T. Jackson

Associate Professor of Sociology
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
P.O. Box 1848
University, MS 38677-1848

Phone: 662-915-5230
Office: Leavell Hall 205
E-mail: jacksonj@olemiss.edu

Biography
I was born and grew up in Wisconsin but currently consider Mississippi my home. I attended the University of Wisconsin–Madison, earning my B.S. degree in sociology in 1988. After graduation, I lived in Cuernavaca, Mexico for a year where I worked as an intern for the Center for Global Education (Augsburg College). It was there that I developed a greater interest in teaching and in conducting research on the relationship between the United States (and other wealthy nations) and the developing world. I earned my M.A. and Ph.D. degrees at the University of Texas at Austin where I was a Mellon Fellow in Latin American Sociology and spent a year conducting fieldwork on the international development profession in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. I moved to Oxford, MS (where I currently reside) and became an assistant professor in the Department of Sociology and Anthropology at the University of Mississippi in 1999. I was promoted to associate professor in 2004. I teach courses on race and ethnicity, globalization, and international development.

Research
My research focuses on the processes of globalization in the developing world. In particular, I am interested in the role that international development organizations–both official (such as the World Bank, USAID, and the UNDP) and non-governmental (such as CARE, Save the Children and other development NGOs)–play in the globalization process. My first book explores how these agencies actively promote various globalization agendas in the country of Honduras. As a result of my fieldwork there, I have become increasingly interested in the political dynamics of globalization. In particular, I am curious about global governance and the emergence of a world state (i.e. “global government” or what some have termed a “transnational state.”) My current project builds on the Honduran case study, by examining the patterns of official aid flows across the globe in order to trace the emergence of global governance and nation building in aid-recipient nations throughout the world.

Recent Publications

Oh, Minjoo and Jeffrey T. Jackson.  2011.  “Animal Rights vs. Cultural Rights:  Exploring the Dog Meat Debate in South Korea from a World Polity Perspective,”  Journal of Intercultural Studies, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 31-56.

Jackson, Jeffrey T. and Dellinger, Kirsten A. 2007. “Volunteer Voices: Making Sense of Our Trip to the Mississippi Gulf Coast After Katrina,” in Narrating the Storm: Sociological Stories of Hurricane Katrina, Danielle A. Hidalgo and Kristen Barber, eds. Newcastle, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.

Jackson, Jeffrey T. 2005. The Globalizers: Development Workers in Action. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press. (2007 Paperback)

Reviewed In:
American Journal of Sociology, November 2006
Journal of World Systems Research, December 2006 (pdf)
NACLA Report on the Americas, May/June 2006
Social Forces, March 2007
Contemporary Sociology, July 2006

Courses Taught
Sociology 101, Introductory Sociology
Sociology 353, Sociology of International Development
Sociology 359, Sociology of Globalization
Sociology 413, Race and Ethnicity
Sociology 613, Studies in Minority Dominant Relations
Sociology 365, Social Research Methods
Sociology 315, Leisure and Popular Culture
International Studies 101, Introduction to International Studies