University of Mississippi

Ross Haenfler

RossCWA2013Associate Professor of Sociology
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
P.O. Box 1848
University, MS 38677-1848

Phone: 662-915-7338
Office: Lamar 531
E-mail: ross@olemiss.edu

Biography:

“If you do not specify and confront real issues, what you say will surely obscure them. If you do not alarm anyone morally, you will yourself remain morally asleep. If you do not embody controversy, what you say will be an acceptance of the drift to the coming human hell.” C. Wright Mills

As an Associate Professor of Sociology at the University of Mississippi, I teach Deviance and Youth Subcultures, Sociological Theory,  Men and Masculinities, Social Movements, and Political Sociology, as well as a graduate seminar called Teaching Sociology. My specialties include gender, social theory, deviant subcultures, qualitative methods, and social change. I love teaching and try to teach classes that create possibilities for students to live more fulfilling lives while making a difference in the world.  I was very honored and humbled to win the College of Liberal Arts Teacher of the Year award in 2009.

I enjoy combining service and travel and have volunteered at an orphanage in Guatemala and taken students on a service-learning trip to Costa Rica. I also like hiking and backpacking anywhere from the Rockies and Iceland to Peru and Alaska.

Research:

My research focuses on how everyday people engage in social change as members of deviant subcultures and loosely organized social movements. Since most people do not consider themselves “activists,” I am interested in how they create changes in their own lives that reflect their values and how these individual actions add up to social change. Much of my work addresses the complicated masculinities that emerge in deviant subcultures and music scenes, and recently I have begun studying how young subculturists transition to “adulthood” – work, family, and careers.

Books:

Subcultures: The Basics (Routledge)

Basics cover

Goths, Gamers, and Grrrls: Deviance and Youth Subcultures (Oxford)

GGG cover 2nd ed_

Straight Edge: Clean-Living Youth, Hardcore Punk,and Social Change (Rutgers)

sXe book cover final

The Better World Handbook: Small Changes
that Make a Big Difference (New Society)

BWHcover

Other Recent Publications:

2013. “Countercultures.” In The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Social and Political Movements, David Snow, Donna Della Porta, Bert Klandermans, and Doug McAdam, eds. Oxford: Wiley/Blackwell.

2012. “Lifestyle Movements: Exploring The Intersection of Lifestyle and Social Movements.” With Brett Johnson and Ellis Jones, in Social Movement Studies 11, 1:1-20.

2012. “‘More than the X’s on My Hands’ – Older Straight Edgers and the Meaning of Style.” In Ageing and Youth Cultures: Music, Style and Identity, Andy Bennett and Paul Hodkinson, eds. Oxford: Berg.

2010. “Why I’m Still Straight Edge.” In Sober Living for the Revolution: Hardcore Punk, Straight Edge, and Radical Politics. Oakland, CA: PM Press.

2010. Hutcherson, Ben and Ross Haenfler. “Musical Genre as a Gendered Process: Authenticity in Extreme Metal.” Forthcoming in Studies in Symbolic Interaction.

2009. “Sociology and Social Change: Creating a More Just and Sustainable World.” With Brett Johnson and Ellis Jones, in Sociological Odyssey: Contemporary Readings in Introductory Sociology, edited by Patricia A. Adler and Peter Adler. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Cengage.

Interviews/Media

Rise – a webzine out of South Africa

More Than Ink
– U.K. webzine

Edge: Perspectives on a Drug Free Culture
Film by German filmmakers Marc Pierschel and Michael Kirchner
http://www.theedgeprojectmovie.com/

The Daily Camera